Thursday, February 25, 2010

Are we ready?

This is the question most asked of Kam & I. Its interesting as I sit here this morning and think...are we ready? Another popular question is what do you still need? I usually answer , "nothing" then later I freak out because I feel we are missing some essential items, like a boppy pillow, changing table, and baby monitors to name a few. But then I sit back and think of my great grandma Elise and what she had to raise her 3 wonderful daughters.

A little history on GGJ.........She has been my only connection to biological pregnancy questions on my maternal side. Her daughter Jean, my grandma, passed away before I was born, and then of course my mother, her granddaughter, Jackie, passed away when I was 6.

Throughout both of my pregnancies I have contacted her with questions and just to hear how things were in the "old days". She is more than willing to share her stories, as at 96 years young she is still sharp as a tack. There are days when she isn't as sharp as she once was, which is hard for us to understand, but she still does VERY well. I also have a wonderful mother, mother-in-law, grandmas, sisters, sisters-in-law, and miles of friends to pull advice, stories, and laughs from, but nothing says it quite like my great grammy!

She told me on her second birth that she was out doing chores and told her husband it was time to have a baby and thats just what she did. She went inside called the mid-wife and it was baby time. No hospital, no monitors, no anesthetic...NOTHING, just her, a midwife, and a baby on the way. When this bundle came out she didn't have a boppy pillow to help her breast feed, or monitors to hear if the baby was awake in its crib, or a changing table equipped with butt paste and many lotions. I feel that my grandma Jean, and my great aunts, Clarice and Linda turned out really well. Okay Linda was born at a hospital but I am pretty sure she didn't get to come home to a Bumbo seat! :) And GGJ was not worried about things on her Target registry that she needed before kids came. :)

She probably was also not worried about how the family pet was going to react. Which has been our latest concern, I mean its almost obsessive on my part. (I know thats a shock that I would obsess about something!) We are so worried about how our "baby girl" Sadie Mae will react. Will I still have time to snuggle her, will I still call her my "doggy-dog dogerton" will I still play "dance with the mama" with her? Will I still give her a puppy massage? I know most of you are picking your chins off of the floor, but these things really do happen at our house! :) I know Sadie Mae will do wonderful, she is great and she will love "baby hippi" as her best friend. and vice versa. :)

We will be fine, and yes we are ready. We have a lot of questions of "when can we do that?" but we have a WONDERFUL support staff around us to pull information from! :) And even if we don't pull the advice out it always flows freely! :) Which we love!!!!

Thank you again for all the love and support, Kam & I are so blessed to have amazing people in our lives offering up much love and prayers. Please know we (Kam, I, baby Hippi, & Sadie Mae) are forever thankful!

More to come........but in the mean time, MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cassie!! Love your blogs!! I don't know much of what I am doing with this whole blogging thing, you will have to give me some pointers!! Glad that we have gotten back in touch!! Can't wait to see pictures of your new little one next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter if you are not reaady, the baby is coming. You will be surprised at how ready you are. Enjoy! It is going to be a great day.

    ReplyDelete